Young Investigator Awards
Since its inception, SITC has strongly supported the growth and achievement of young investigators in the field of cancer immunotherapy. As the field continues to expand, SITC has realized the even greater importance of fostering the growth and development of the next generation of cancer immunotherapy experts and tumor immunologists by providing them with additional support and opportunities to present their research at the SITC Annual Meeting.
This year, SITC will offer a total of 31 Young Investigator Awards, all recognizing excellence in novel research and providing early career scientists with the experience necessary for successful careers.
Get information on other SITC award opportunities here.
Abstract Travel Awards
Twenty seven Abstract Travel Awards will be presented to young investigators who submit an abstract for SITC's 31st Annual Meeting. Abstracts are judged by a committee of SITC leadership and Annual Meeting organizers.
Those selected will have the opportunity to present a poster of their abstract at the 31st Annual Meeting and will be eligible for oral presentations during Annual Meeting sessions. Award recipients will also receive:
- Up to $750 in travel reimbursement
- SITC Abstract Travel Award certificate and poster ribbon
Presidential Travel Awards
Four abstracts submitted in any category and authored by young investigators will be selected for 15-minute oral presentations during the Presidential Session of SITC's 31st Annual Meeting. Presenting authors not selected for the SITC Presidential Award (described below) will receive a SITC Presidential Travel Award in recognition of their achievement. Recipients will also receive:
- Up to $750 in travel reimbursement
- 1-year complimentary SITC membership
- Presidential Travel Award certificate and poster ribbon
Established in 1991, the SITC Presidential Award serves as recognition to the young investigator deemed to have the most outstanding oral abstract presentation at the SITC Annual Meeting.
The recipient of the Presidential Award will receive: $1,000 honorarium, up to $1,000 in travel reimbursement, 1-year complimentary SITC membership, a commemorative Presidential Award plaque and a poster ribbon noting them as the Presidential Award Winner.
All award recipients will also be recognized in the SITC 31st Annual Meeting Final Program, on signage and name-badge ribbons at the conference, and will also be featured on the SITC website, in Society press releases, social media and other promotional outlets.
To qualify for a Young Investigator Travel Award, the primary/presenting author must meet the criteria as outlined below prior to the submission deadline:
Both Abstract Travel and Presidential Travel Awards:
- Be a current SITC member
- Categorized as a Student, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Clinical Fellow, or Junior Faculty (instructor/assistant professor) with three or fewer years on staff (total from all institutions; inclusive of experience in all fields). A letter of support from a lab supervisor is needed stating this categorization as well.
- Serve as both the primary author and presenting author on the abstract
- Meet the determined deadline for abstract submission and indicate that they wish to be considered for an award
- Outline their contribution level to the four areas listed below. A greater level of participation will be judged more favorably and will be used as one of the criteria for judging award recipients. Categories include:
- Conception and design
- Collection and assembly of data
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Abstract writing
Presidential Travel Award Only:
- Authors selected for oral presentations must be capable and comfortable presenting the abstract to a large audience and answering audience questions
- Individuals who have previously won the SITC Presidential Award are ineligible for the same award
Questions? Contact SITC!